Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Tracey Reitterer added 3 new photos.
"Life Lessons" - In memory of Leslie Glass: Thank you for being in this world & helping me to become a better person. You are loved & missed by so many. 
Life Lessons
It is my strong belief people that come into our lives in a variety of ways for many different reasons, sometimes leaving us forever changed. I became a better person twenty years ago through the help and guidance of a wonderful friend and teacher. Among many lessons learned, Leslie taught me to redirect my thinking. This helped me become a more grounded and open-minded person, as well as kept me from getting arrested on more than one occasion. Her devotion to animal advocacy not only awakened my own desire to do more, but also taught me to laugh at the absurdities in life. In addition, I witnessed Leslie rebound from love gone wrong a time or two. This taught me to never turn away from what each new experience can bring to the table. Even today, the memories of her laughter and warm hugs sustain me when it seems as though everything in life is falling apart. Leslie changed me in ways no one else ever could, bringing with her such love, laughter, and lessons that the after-glow she left behind will last a lifetime.
My mentor and hero, Leslie Glass and I met in late 1994 while I was facing charges of harassment. These charged stemmed from an incident over two beloved pets that were taken from me. Afterwards, my animals were euthanized by a so-called cat rescue organization. Through the animal lovers chain of communication, Leslie swooped into my life, enveloped me in friendship and promised her on-going support and love. Sensing a kindred spirit, she often substituted as a sounding board as I vented through feelings of grief and anger over the loss of my cats. During that time, Leslie became my voice of reason. Through many late night talks, she taught me self-restraint and decorum in dealing with others. Working as both a model and dancer who traveled the world, she made time to fly back to Baltimore to attend my trial. Afterwards, we spent days together while she integrated me into her world of animal rescue. "You can't bring your babies back, but there are others who need loving homes, so learn to pick your battles", she said, instilling the powerful lesson that bitterly fighting with others was not worth battling for freedom from behind bars.
Animal care was Leslie's life mission, one that touched me deeply through both laughter and tears. Throughout her adult life, she was known for organizing animal rescues. She temporarily housed dogs and cats, often flying them across the country in order to find suitable placement in loving homes. "Companions" was an understatement in her mind. Animals to Leslie, were "God's children" as well, starved for care and affection and needing just the right homes to fill people's hearts with love. While modeling served as her financial career, sweating up a storm with the animals was her greatest joy. Nothing pleased her more than frolicking on the floor covered in puppies and kittens; her "fur-ball critters", as she affectionately called them. Some of my funniest moments with Leslie were spent watching her "nordic trim" herself and the animals. She did this by racing up and down her steps with them, giggling like crazy until she dropped to the floor exhausted. From side of the road emergencies, to crawling through gutters and climbing trees to rescue dogs and cats, we did it all. These experiences became painful, yet often hilarious, unforgettable treasured memories. Great lessons in empathy and compassion, as well as laughter for the soul.
Leslie was an optimist; a passionate dreamer who taught me to never give up on love, despite failed relationships. After a particularly violent confrontation once with her husband, she called to ask if I could pick her up for our morning plans. Sounding distraught, she stated her husband had beaten her and stolen her vehicle earlier that evening. When I arrived to see how I could help, I found her in tears on the floor surrounded by ashes. She explained that after arriving home and confronting her husband about numerous marital issues, he became enraged. He proceeded to throw all her possessions and clothing into a pile on the floor and set them on fire, before punching her and stalking out the door. Many women would have been devastated by this, but to Leslie, it was only a minor set-back. Within moments, she quickly dried her tears, poured us a glass of wine and toasted to "new beginnings". She smiled as she sang to me, when love attacks or walks out the door, it's time to "turn the page" and move on in life (Bob Seger). Had he been my husband, the "old me" would have ended up in jail for getting revenge, but Leslie handled it like a lady. Lessons learned - determination, class, dignity and grace.
I learned many things throughout our friendship, but the hardest lesson of all was watching my mentor stare death in the face, and learning to let go when she finally succumbed. Leslie's struggle began when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 1998. Throughout two years of treatment, she never wavered from her humor and optimistic spirit. She often laughed and joked with her doctors and nurses, telling anyone who would listen not to be sad for her. "After all", she would say, "if four husbands couldn't take me down, I'll be damned if I let cancer get the best of me". Until the last few months of her life, Leslie was often seen roller-blading around the community with her dogs. While many people would have emotionally withered and died under a cancer diagnoses, she was determined to enjoy every waking moment. Unfortunately, Leslie lost her biggest battle on August 4, 2000 at age thirty-six. The beautiful Phoenix who arose from the ashes time and time again was forever silenced. Lessons learned - persistence, humor, adversity and strength of the human spirit.
Leslie was many things to many people, but to me, she was and always will be the quintessential "timeless beauty", both inside and out. A five year gift of unconditional love, friendship, laughter, and wisdom that far exceeded her thirty-six years on earth. Her motto in life was, "Don't sweat the small stuff. Live, love, laugh, and surround yourself only with people who raise you up in life." Leslie taught me to be strong, independent, optimistic, compassionate and forgiving. Most of all, she taught me to authentically live life being the best kind of person I could be. Through her eyes, I began to see life for the wonderful gift it truly is. Her friendship was a blessing to me in so many ways. Without a doubt, I would not have become the woman I am today had it not been for her. I miss Leslie more than words can describe, but I cherish the lessons she instilled in me. Her memories will remain emblazoned in my heart forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment